From the article: Emperor Tetra
Have you kept an Emperor Tetra? If so, share your experiences about care, habitat, feeding and breeding of Emperor Tetras. Your knowledge could help other owners! Share Your Experiences
With Bigger fish!
- Hello! I've had my emperor tetras for a while now! I've found that they get on particularly well with my Pearl Gouramis and Blue Gouramis, so if you want to mix them with bigger fish I reckon these gentle giants are good ones to go for! Also, Emperor Tetras are known for going a lovely blue color, but mine haven't so much because it turns out I've got a bunch of girls :) So if you want brightly colored ones get some males too!
- —Guest Sian
- I found if you keep pH at 6.2 or 6.4 and temp at 78-80 degrees the Emperor will breed quite readily in a heavy planted community tank. I am raising Eight fry now and have have raised three to breeding size.
- —Guest M Mathes
New to all this
- My Emperor Tetra is the most interesting of some give-away fishes I received from a relocating neighbor. Did no research before adopting the fish so am grateful to you experts who are willing to share info. My Emperor is occasionally feisty, but harmless (so far) & a litte fussy, preferring shrimp to prepared dry food. I'm intrigued by the odd way he swims & the way his dark stripe disappears at night. Hope those are normal traits.
- —Guest Ms Hood
Yes Emperor Tetras ROCK!
- I have a 60 gallon tank with 6 emperor tetras,2 rainbows,4 rams,4 cory cats,and 1 rainbow shark.That rainbow shark killed 2 of my rams and he tried to go after the emperors next,but the emperors ain't no PUNK fish.The male emperor tetra would always hit the rainbow shark and chase him off to protect the females.I have had these fish for 2 years and i had them in the beginning and they are very hardy.I put them through a lot before i figured out how to take careof a fish tank,and they were the only fish to survive out of the 30 i have purchased.Great for any beginner.The male emperor is a beautiful fish!I finally decided to move that rainbow fish to another tank before he killed my new rams.
- —Guest MCB
- My Emperor Tetra male, Fat Tony, was one of my very first fish, and has thrived in my beginners' tank for over 6 years. He has produced five surviving fry, including two young males which have now started colonies of their own in other tanks. Gorgeous fish, just a tad on the fiesty side.
- —Guest Mrs Wumoni