From the article: Mickey Mouse Platy - Xiphophorus maculatus
Have you keep a Mickey Mouse Platy? If so, please help other fish owners by sharing what you know about Mickey Mouse Platys. Share Your Experiences
Enjoying my MM platys
- I purchased 10 red MM's and 10 gold MM's but only 2 reds and 3 golds have survived. One of the reds is taking care of that though. Just had 13 fry but only have 5 left after a heater mishap. I have them in a breeding net right now so it will not be so hard to introduce them into the rest of the tank. It is really hard to see them though. I have ordered a clear breeding nursery. Noticed a fat gold MM last week. May be a fishy "grandma" again soon and loving it!!
- Had a MM last year, had it for 6 months, and it died. :( Just bought another one about 2 months ago. 2 weeks ago we noticed these little orange things in the water.. About the size of a grain of rice.. BABIES :) Now we have 7 baby mm's in the tank and today I noticed another teeny tiny one, so I think she had more. We'll see how many we end up with! I love it!
- —Guest Maycee
i have mm platys
- My platy had twenty babies all lived now i have twentymore living with my guppies just fine have never seperated them because i had and have no fish sense other than feeding them and keeping the tank clean.
- —Guest shawn
50 kids are enough!
- Over the past 2 months our female platy (who obviously mated before we got her) has produced 50 fries. We kept the first batch but let nature take it's course after that. Today she gave birth to another 32 fries. Anyone know how long the sperm packet lasts???
- —Guest Ellie
- I've had platys, and they breed so easily its stressful. My first platy litter was born ten minutes before I had to go to school, so make sure you have breeding equipment if you have a mating pair of platys.
- —Guest Alison
- I am on my second generation... Only three lived out of four. I had 7 babies 3 weeks ago... three 2 weeks ago and I have 3 today.... Beautiful to watch God's work.
- —Guest Brenda
Beware of jumping fish
- First nite we had the mickey home it disappeared from the tank. Spent a min of 5 mins raking through the tank before we look outside. Found it in one of the boys toys containers. Threw it in some water and its still alive and swimming two weeks later. Amazing!!!!
- —Guest Kybuckeye
I HAVE MICKEY MOUSE PLATYS
- I HAVE 10 MICKEY MOUSE PLATYS IN MY TANK OF DIFFERENT SIZES WE HAVE 10 LARGER FRY IN A SMALL TANK AND HAVE JUST FOUND 7 MORE TINY ONES. I CANT TELL WHICH ARE MALE OR FEMALE I DONT MIND THE BABIES AND GET QUITE EXCITED WHEN WE FIND THEM BUT I CAN'T TELL THEM APART HELP PLEASE
- —Guest JANE HARRIS
Micky Mouse Platy
- They are very good community fish, and are easy to care for. They do eat ferociously and create a proportionate amount of waste, but get along with everyone just fine.
- i had bought 2 sunburst platies and as I was getting in the car i was thinking that it would be hilarious if I had any baby fish! A couple days before my birthday i saw a tiny little orange thing floating around and it was a baby platy! he must have been hiding very well Because he was the only one alive! i was so happy when i woke up the next morning and he was still there. It was a wonderful experience that I would love to try again.
- —Guest ookeybookey
One platy laying on bottom
- Can anyone tell me why this one is laying around on the gravel. It's supposed to be male he even eats down there let the food just float to him.
- —Guest Rhonda
My Mickey Mouse Platy gave brith
- My Platy gave brith but only to 8 fry and all of them died, but I dont know why. They were super tiny and I moved the mother to a plastic tub with a fitler/oxygen thing and I left the fry in the tank. A few hours later I moved the fry to a diffrent tank with no other fish and I left them for 45 mins. When I came back and they were all dead but I dont know why. And know the mother is at the bottom of the tank (still alive) and I'm worried that she will die can somebody help me?
- —Guest Marspluto
New mm platy owner
- Just recently bought a male & female mm platy. Hoping for babies very soon. Our's are orangy-red & we named them Mickey & Minnie. :)
- —Guest Jo
Ruby the single baby...
- We have a tank that we have 1 male & 1 female MM Platy in along with 6 Guppies, 1 Betta and a sucker fish. We had some fry but only one lived, I am happy to say this is our first attempt at breeding and even though only one lived I am happy as it is a learning experience for our 5 year old daughter. Although having problems with snails it has been fun. She named the baby Ruby and of course the parents are Mickey and Minnie.
My Three Platys
- I got up this morning and found out that my beauitiful Platys were having babies. I was so happy that I screamed. I counted about 15 new babies and as I looked up I can see that the other two are pregnant as well . It's going to be great to see the small fry grow. I love my fish they are truely the best thing I''ve ever had .
- —Guest anna
1-15 of 22Next