Looking for more information about a species of fish? There are many profiles available here in this aquarium fish profile list. Or you can try one of the other lists below.
An interesting subfamily of fish are the Anabantoidei, often referred to as the Labyrinth fish. These species have a special organ that allows them to breath air directly. The popular fad of keeping a Betta in a vase, came about because of this ability. Many of these species are very popular, including:
Cyprinidae are the largest family of entirely freshwater fish. Often referred to as the Carp family, it includes many of the most popular aquarium fish. This family also includes many food fish as well as those favored in recreational fishing. Some of their more popular members, include:
- Barb Species - Black Ruby Barb, Denison Barb, Gold Barb, Rosy Barb, Tiger Barb, Tinfoil Barb, Zebra Barb
- Danio Species - Dwarf Spotted Danio, Giant Danio, Pearl Danio, Rosy Danio, Zebra Danio
- Goldfish - Goldfish
- Minnows - White Cloud Mountain Minnow
- Rasoboras - Harlequin, Scissortail
- Sharks - Bala Shark
Catfish may seem alike, but in truth they are one of the most diverse families of fish. One unusual characteristic of this family is the Weber's apparatus, which connects the hearing and swim bladder organs, providing them with an exceptionally keen sense of hearing. Some popular species in this family include:
Spread throughout the world, this family includes a wide variety of species. Many are peaceful schooling, commonly seen in community aquariums. Some members of this family include:
- Hatchetfish - Common Hatchetfish, Marbled Hatchetfish
- Other Characoids - Black Banded Leporinus, Red Bellied Piranha
- Pacus & Silver Dollars - Pacu, Red Hook, Silver Dollar
- Tetras - Black Neon Tetra, Black Phantom Tetra, Black Widow Tetra, Bleeding Heart Tetra, Blind Cave Fish, Buenos Aires Tetra, Cardinal Tetra, Emperor Tetra, Glowlight Tetra, Head and Tail Light Tetra, Neon Tetra, Red Eye Tetra, Rummy Nose Tetra, Serpae Tetra
Cichilds are an extremely popular freshwater family, and include a wide variety of species, from elegant Angelfish to large and boisterous Oscars Some comm members of this family include.
- Angelfish - Believe it or not, there is only one primary species of Angelfish sold in the aquarium trade.
- Blood Parrots - A controversial hybrid, this species is widely available.
- Convicts - Named for their prison uniform coloration, Convicts are one of the most popular South American Cichilds.
- Kribensis - This attractive, and peaceful, member of the Cichlid family hails from Africa.
- Oscar - This Cichlid ranks high on the list of fish with oodles of personality.
- Texas Cichlid - The northernmost member of the Cichlid family in North America.
Native to Australia and New Guinea, Rainbowfish have rapidly become popular world-wide. Their bright colors and dual dorsal fins set them apart from many other freshwater species. Unfortunately, their attractiveness has caused some species to be captured to the point of near extintion in the wild. As a result some species, such as the highly prized Boseman's Rainbow, are largely captive bred.
Some of the fish included in this group are: Axelrod's Rainbow, Boesman's Rainbow, Lake Kutubu Rainbow, Lake Wanam Rainbow, Madagascar Rainbow, Neon Rainbow, and the Red Rainbow. Visit the Rainbowfish gallery for a full list.