Don't know what size, shape, or type to buy? These steps will steer you to the perfect tank.
Time Required: 45 minutes
- Decide where you are going to place your aquarium. Remember filled tanks are heavy!
- Measure the area you selected and write it down for reference.
- Use your measurements and the tank sizes link under Related Features to find the correct size of tank.
- When selecting a shape, choose short longer shapes over tall thinner shapes. More surface area at the top of the water is better for the fish.
- Decide if you want glass or acrylic. I recommend glass for beginners.
- Choose an aquarium over 10 gallons. Mistakes aren't as lethal in a tank with more water.
- Call several stores and compare the prices for the same brand of aquarium
- Now go purchase your aquarium and get started on your new hobby.
- A filled 20 gallon tank weighs 225 lbs. Use the tank sizes chart below to be sure your stand can support the aquarium you select.
- For additional info on selecting tanks read the Getting Started feature listed below.