1. Home

Finding fish that are compatible with each other can be a challenge, as this forum visitor has found out.

"Our small daughter was given a 5 gal aquarium for Christmas this year by a relative. Said relative then took her to Petsmart and bought her a male Betta. We are new to all this but willing to learn for her. We'd hoped initially to be able to add other fish in with the Beta. We've asked several store people if that's possible and, if so, what kinds of fish would work. We've gotten many different answers, mostly conflicting ones(!). Can someone definitively guide us as to whether or not other fish are compatible or if we need to return the Betta and go with a different mix??"

Comments

January 11, 2008 at 2:05 am
(1) Valerie says:

This really depends on the temperament of the male Betta. Mine coexists peacefully with a small bristlenose catfish and an apple snail, but others are known to kill everything in sight. Some popular tankmates for the Betta include danios and tetras, just make sure not to pick out any elaborately finned or brightly coloured fish. Nothing that even closely resembles a male Betta.

A good way to introduce a new fish is to place it in a clear box with holes inside the aquarium, so that the Betta gets used to the presence and the “smell” of it, and then release it after a day or two. It is usually easier to get the other fish first, and then introduce the Betta to tank, so he sees them as part of the environment.

January 11, 2008 at 2:15 pm
(2) Elaine says:

Definetly not. Your beta needs to be by himself. Another name for him is siamese figghting fish, his name suits him. Ecspecially in a 5 gallon. The only possible way would to be a much larger tank. Could be possible, but definetly not a 5 gallon tank. I have community tank full of fish, then i have a small traditional gold fish bowl for my beta. they’re gorgeous fish, so i had to have one, but he is by himself.

January 14, 2008 at 5:51 pm
(3) Lisa says:

You can put White Clouds or Gold white clouds in with Betta’s. I work at a pet show in the fish dept and they go good together.

January 16, 2008 at 4:46 pm
(4) Kim says:

I currently have tiger barbs and bala sharks with my male betta. I have had no problems with them together. They don’t bother him and vise versa. I have always heard not to put other fish in there that are long finned like they are.

October 21, 2008 at 6:39 pm
(5) Gregg says:

I recently added my male betta into a 30 gal. tank with 6 corydoras. The betta is super intelligent in that he watches intently as the corys feed on an algae pellet,then mimics them. I’ve watched him lay on the bottom dormant like a cory and as they move on (they’re always in motion except when not :) he’ll feed off the bottom. I’ve never witnessed this before and it looks learned. He’s very mellow with the corys following them around but never chasing or aggressive. I’ve heard when adding a betta it should be introduced last for territorial reasons. I’m winging it but I knew this guy would co-habit with others. I plan ti introduce some tetras of varying species. Keep y’all posted. Good luck.

November 6, 2008 at 5:45 am
(6) Jo-Anna says:

I have placed a Betta into each one of my community tanks over the last 12 years with no problems. I prefer tetras, corys, plecos, dwarf frogs, and minnows as tank mates. I get the tank set up with whatever fish/frogs I would like, and then add the Betta in afterwards, just to ensure there is no territory conflict. Occassionally you may get an overly aggressive Betta, but you will never be able to tell that until you place them in the tank. Good luck and have fun! Bettas are not only fun to watch interact with their tankmates, but they will also interact with you!

March 29, 2009 at 4:57 pm
(7) shelby says:

I’ve had a few bettas throughout the time I’ve kept my fish tanks. I now have a 35 gal with a paradise fish, a red devil and a dinosaur eel. I’m going 2 get a larger tank for him for when he gets bigger. I have a betta in with a few guppies in a 10 gal. A 1 gal with another red devil for a temporary holding for my boyfriends mother. I also have a 45 gal with my warmouth bass, that my brother had but I soon rescued her because she had amnonia burns. I’ve had multiple bettas that I’ve put in with my fancy tailed guppies and they turned out to be a great compatability. Although it depends on the temperment of the betta this pair seems to go great together.

September 7, 2009 at 3:49 pm
(8) Lynn says:

does anyone think a male betta will get along with some neons and some guppies???

September 15, 2009 at 12:13 pm
(9) Haggis says:

I’ve kept neon tetras with a male betta. They were fine most of the time, but he did chase them for a bit. Took him out of the tank for two wweeks by himself, put him back in the community tank and fine. Neons are also one of the normal recommendations as compatitible fish for bettas

January 29, 2010 at 8:30 am
(10) Michael says:

I have Neon Tetras with my Crown Betta in a 10gal, he chased them for the first day from time to time then got used to them, now they swim together in the tank.

February 6, 2010 at 11:09 am
(11) Eric says:

I have an aggressive male betta and he is in a tank with two platies and two cory catfish. They are a big happy family. My cories will harrass the betta a bit but the betta seems more playful than anything else. the only time it is aggressive is when it sees its reflection.

June 6, 2010 at 2:19 pm
(12) Matthew mains says:

Do you think I could have a female and male betta with a red tail shark? Or would there be fin nipping or harassing?

January 19, 2011 at 3:04 pm
(13) Joel says:

Does anyone know if theres a difference in temperment between a regular betta and a crown tail betta? my crowntail male betta seems really chilled and has never shown aggression towards my mollies, so i would like to add other fish.

July 22, 2011 at 6:01 am
(14) Daniel says:

Betta’s usually are more aggressive with fish that are similar to them in style, for example male fancy tail guppies. I had a tank a long time ago, and we constantly had to replace them till we figured out why they were dieing all the time. lesson learned. I have just recently got back into it, and started off with a betta and tetras and it is working out just fine.

November 7, 2012 at 2:30 pm
(15) zachary says:

Type of Betta does not make a difference. Each fish has its own personality which desides how aggressive it will be. Most bettas get along great with any speices of corydora, neons and dainos. Afircan frogs are also a good choice, but you must make sure the betta does not eat all the frogs food. They should never be put with any type of barb, angelfish, gourami or any species of ciclid.

February 21, 2013 at 6:10 am
(16) Dee says:

I had a Betta in a Mollie tank, and I found that the Mollies harassed him. He just stayed in his own small piece of real estate. I had to move him for his own safety. Recently, I had a tank leak and had to move some Zebra Danios in with one Betta and a Three Spotted Gourami in with the other Betta. Neither Betta had an issue with it even in the small heated bowl. The arrangement was temporary so I am seriously considering moving ONE Betta into the new bigger tank. I really think it is dependent on the temperament of ALL the fish. My best advice is to use caution (and watch) when it comes to Bettas. While some experts say they get along with certain other breeds, it is not always the case, and sometimes, they get along with fish they logically shouldn’t.

July 11, 2013 at 4:57 pm
(17) Julie says:

I have a male Beta in a 10 gallon tank with 6 neon Tetra’s and they get along great.