1. Home

Shirlie Sharpe

Baby Snails

By February 28, 2007

Have you ever been struck by the scurge of snails? Perhaps you can offer this forum member some advice.

"I have a 20 gallon freshwater aquarium. I have one golden snail that I bought 3 weeks ago. I have also purchased 2 real plants some time ago. My problem is, I keep getting all these baby snails. So far I have taken out at least 30 babies and deposited them in the garbage. I know that snails can produce babies from a single snail. How do I get rid of them for good! Thanks, Lorraine"

Comments

February 28, 2007 at 2:14 pm
(1) Michel Lacroix says:

Buy a clown loach or two and snails will be history.

March 4, 2007 at 4:39 pm
(2) Michael Pallarito says:

you got the little snails from your plants. when you add new aquatic plants to your tank you should always soak them in a saltwater bath for a few hours and then rinse them before adding them to your tank. must pet suppliers that carry fish and plants have a reproductive snail problem and they should tell you about the saltwater bath for your plants.
Clown Loaches can help the issue, but are not always the right fish for every tank.

March 4, 2007 at 5:55 pm
(3) Don Lafontaine says:

Yep, as michael said, clown loaches will clean em all out. I just bought 2 and even though they are still quite young, they go after the snails.

April 30, 2008 at 1:57 pm
(4) laura lawler says:

i am so disturbed that you would “deposit” thos wonderful baby creatures into the trash. my baby snails are not trash, i have much more respect for them. next time take them to the pet store so others can enjoy them.

September 29, 2008 at 5:22 pm
(5) haley says:

i cant believe that u would throw ur baby snails in the garbage.. would u like it if somebody threw u away????
that is just not right!!!!!
show some respect!!!

October 13, 2008 at 2:19 am
(6) Sexy Sex Bomb says:

SNAILS ROCK MY SOCKS!
I CANT BLEIEVE YOU WOULD THROW THEM IN THE BINNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
HOW WOULD YOU LIKE IT IF WE THREW YOU IN THE TRASH!!!!!!
TREAT OTHERS THE WAY YOU WOULD LIKE TO BE TREATED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

November 5, 2008 at 8:49 pm
(7) Emily says:

I also have snails and they’ve been mating a lot. There’s a bunch of snails crawling in my fish tank. Guess what I’M doing with them? Taking them to the pet store! I can’t believe you threw living creatures in the trash. I think YOU deserve to be in the trash and burned alive.

November 12, 2008 at 1:38 am
(8) Michelle says:

KILLER! I have 2 ADORABLE baby snails, and i plan to raise them, not KILL them. Like most of the other commenting people said, Don’t kill a living creature.

November 16, 2008 at 4:06 pm
(9) Escargot says:

Like others, I can’t believe you threw the baby snails away. I like to let them grow big and plump. Then I sautée them with a little garlic butter! Deeeelish!

January 4, 2009 at 10:00 pm
(10) Kristinleb says:

honestly to get rid of the snails buy a clown loach or go to your local pet store and ask them for a list of non-expensive snail eating fish. Or you could raise the snails and then sell them on Ebay or give them to your local pet store as they appear (Warning ask your pet store for permission to give them your baby snails)You can even have a party and give the baby snails away is bunches for your friends and other people! :) But you shouldn’t throws them away thats just not nice :0 hope i helped! :D

April 24, 2009 at 11:19 pm
(11) kyryah says:

If you have a “golden” snail, I am assuming it is a Mystery snail. That means that the babies are most likely pond snails that came from eggs that were deposited on your plants prior to purchase. Mystery snails are not hermaphrodites like other snail species and require a mail and female to produce offspring. They also lay their clutches above the water line.

There is not a pet store in the WORLD that is going to take a whole bunch of pond snails. They are considered pests, breed out of control and can destroy plants.

In other words, please do not allow a few foolish people to make you feel like dirt for throwing some pests away. I am sorry, guys, it is a SNAIL. One that has invasively destroyed a LOT of waterways because some bleeding heart had to let them go where they did not belong. It is better to destroy them, or offer them to some one that has loaches or puffers to feed.

Alternatively, freezing them is a quicker and more humane way of euthanizing the snails.

May 24, 2009 at 7:28 am
(12) lexi says:

Yep i agree, get a grip they are pests -they are eating all my plants and have laid eggs everywhere i have been told clown loaches are the way forward – but whoever it was that said something about burning the guy who threw the snails in the bin….dude I’d reconsider your capability to look after any living creature if thats how you wanna treat people.

They do breed uncontrollably and they are a problem, you can usually purchase a clown loach that will not affect your existing environment.

October 11, 2009 at 8:33 am
(13) butterfly213 says:

Like the Big Guy says, “AN EYE FOR AN EYE!!”

October 23, 2009 at 7:53 am
(14) Heywood Yablowmeh says:

Hm. . . Thats intresting.

December 16, 2009 at 8:57 pm
(15) jill says:

i cannot believe u threw the snails in the garbage thats horrible u could have just taken them to the store and im sure thy would have taken them from u

April 4, 2010 at 7:58 pm
(16) Steve says:

I hope you made sure they were dead. Snails are hardy little monsters and even thought the trip would be long and hazardous, if just one made it to free water, you may have introduced an invasive species

June 15, 2010 at 12:47 pm
(17) bearsdeb says:

I think these people are right. I do not know a lot about fish and that sort of stuff. I logged on here because I found a rather large baby snail in our tank this morning. We bought our snail about 3 weeks ago. I was looking for some way to identify which kind of snail it is and how the baby got there. We only have one snail and the plants we have, have been in our tank for about 2 months. I do not agree with you about throwing awy babies. no matter what they are, they deserve to live.

July 12, 2010 at 3:55 pm
(18) Asantewaa says:

My dad always let them grow a bit then crushed them against the glass with the plastic back scratcher and let the fish eat them as a treat. LIVE food instead of flakes.

November 13, 2010 at 10:48 pm
(19) ian says:

I have 2 snails who rapidly reproduse so I give them to friends do not i repeate do not give them to a pet store they will kill them all because they might hane a deasese

November 23, 2010 at 7:43 pm
(20) allirin efrcress@hotmail.com says:

wow just wow i tell you some people know are just ridicules its a snail if she dos not wish to keep it and it is still small squish it and move on it is just a snail and as others said if you have other fish feed the crushed snail to them it is a vary health snack for them. now for the matter of giving them to a pet store, depending on the snail will depend on weather you can give them away if it is a pound snail (if it has a football shaped shell) they will not take them they are plaint eater they reproduce an an alarming rate and will chose havoc with your tanks. if they are apple snails (you can tell by the shape of there shell and the color they will rang from a golden color to a blue) you can take them to pet stores and even trade them for other fish. i do it all the time i raise apple snails and i will take down anywhere from 50-300 a month at a time but the pets stores will only take them if they are a half way good size. if you are looking for a fish that will eat them at any age and size then yes clown Loaches are the best i have 3 of them know and i feed them snails ever once and a while for a good live snake. don’t let the bleeding hearts get to yea they are just snails and if you can take care of them you can only do so much you cant please the world.

January 18, 2011 at 8:49 pm
(21) SnailLuver says:

How dare you throw snails in the trash! You are a sick person! SNAILS ARE NOT PESTS! They are adorable, cute creatures. You deserve to be thrown away!

March 23, 2012 at 10:23 am
(22) Bobby Nicoletti says:

Great weblog.Really looking forward to read more. Awesome.

March 26, 2012 at 9:57 pm
(23) Bri is a snail lover. says:

You could use copper sulfate or some other chemical that kills snails for a quick fix, but it’s better that you buy a fish like the Clown Loach to eat them. Don’t throw away your snails or flush them down the toilet, they can be an invasive specie. I think killing them, making sure they are dead then disposing of them is best.

tl;dr
Copper Sulfate. Research it first.

July 29, 2012 at 9:25 pm
(24) anna says:

why would you ever deposite baby snails! Seriously!

September 1, 2012 at 10:55 am
(25) Diane says:

I too get snails in my tanks. Once a month or every 6 weeks I take the snails to my fish store and donate them. I also take a sample of water and have it tested to be sure that everything is ok.
The fish store is grateful and I keep my water healthy for my fish.

September 12, 2012 at 5:47 am
(26) dave says:

how long after these snals are born can i give them to a friend i don’t want to crush them or harm them in the move ???

September 18, 2012 at 7:49 am
(27) Lisa says:

I’ve just spotted 3 baby snails in our childrens tank do I need to move them or will they be sake left in there….

February 1, 2013 at 7:20 pm
(28) animal says:

i catch snails that are inmy pond my grandfarther said not to but them in there but i did cause i what to see them multiply i did killed one snail i was do a expriment to see if i ca clean them without sope but other stuf to smell good,sof, and clean it lived for a day or two or i think mabey three i don’t like killg animals only rollypolly i dont mind or worms to feed my chickens or worms that kills trees

May 19, 2013 at 6:14 pm
(29) jadyn says:

you can take the one snail to the pet store and they can help you that’s what I did they told me all I needed to do.