1. Home

Ever see Goldfish that lay on the bottom of the tank? If so, perhaps you can answer this goldfish owners question.

"We have a 75 gallon fresh water aquarium with 7 fish. The fancy goldfish have taken to laying on the bottom of the tank except when the light comes on. The water temp is fine and the fish seem to be okay once the light goes on. What could be causing this? We have had our fish for quite awhile and we don't want to lose them. Please let me know what may be causing this and what I can do to rectify this problem."

Comments

December 4, 2006 at 8:08 pm
(1) Keila says:

I’ve kept goldfish for years, and they’ve all displayed the behavior you’re describing. This is how they rest at night. Google goldfish sleep for more info. As long as your guys are healthy otherwise, I wouldn’t worry about it.

December 10, 2006 at 12:33 am
(2) Megan says:

My four-year-old goldfish did this a lot. As long as he is resting in an upright position, not leaning on his side, he’s probably OK. The fact that he perks up when the light comes on indicates that it’s just resting. My goldfish, coincidentally, had a lot of personality. His tank was at the foot of my bed, and when he saw my feet move under the covers in the morning he’d go to the top and smack his mouth at the surface of the water to get attention. He wanted food!

December 20, 2006 at 6:50 am
(3) riss says:

Hi, I have a similar situation, my goldfish gets up from the bottom to eat then immeaditiely returns
please help me any one have any ideas?

December 31, 2007 at 9:37 pm
(4) Donna says:

my goldfish rest at night at the bottom of the tank at night. They also rest at the bottom when I turn the tank light out.

September 3, 2008 at 12:19 pm
(5) julie says:

hi, i got my fantail goldfish last saturday and all its done is rest at the bottom of the tank :( it only shows life when i feed it but then just goes back to the bottom of the tank. and no i looks like it has little white speckles all over it ?? and i dont know whats up with it ??

December 4, 2008 at 11:24 am
(6) kelly says:

my fancy goldfish, 2 males, both exibit this behaviour too. i don tknow whats going on with them, but they always get up and swim around when i move near the tank, and they eat fine and are healthy. as to the question about the while speckles, they are most likely white spot and you need to treat it asap. i always use salt in my tanks to treat white spot, rather than medications. just go and buy some aquarium salt, not marine salt, just aquarium salt for freshwater fish, and add it as teh directions say. give it a week and they will be gone.

May 22, 2009 at 8:46 am
(7) ellena says:

my fish are always on the bottom and sometimes in mid water but they are fine. they eat well and come to the tank when i go near it or turn the lights on. but if you have white specks that is not good it can get sick and die so get some salt and if that doesn’t work use medications from the vet or pet store.

Good luck!

September 7, 2009 at 9:12 pm
(8) phaze says:

What does it mean when a fish occassionally swims on her back. The next thing you know she seems right as rain. It’s been going on for days. She also seems rather huge around the belly area and I think she may be full of eggs.

November 17, 2009 at 1:26 am
(9) Chrissy says:

Hi everyone! Our golfish are just board and resting thats all!! Redecorate the tank once in awhile get a buddy for him and often give them attention thats all!!!

January 8, 2010 at 6:08 pm
(10) Claire says:

Iv been told when they rest on the bottom of the tank or swim upside down as mine does both they need live fish food to help them have a bowel movement. Hope this helps !!!

February 20, 2011 at 9:50 am
(11) redman8102 says:

Okay I have a black moor that’s goin through the same thing. He was doing great for about 3 months. Until I introduced an algae eater ( the chinese algae eater not a pleco), the algae eater seems to be eating the slime coat off the black moor as well as my other two fancies! The black moor has lost a bit of his coloring do to the stress, and developed ich; also due to the stress and lack of slime coating. This morning I turned on the light and he was laying on the bottom, while the other fancies were swimming around. After a few minutes he began swimming normally for a short time then returned to his “lazy” state. What do I do?

As far as abnormalities in swimming ( upside down,floating, sideways, etc.). This ailment is very common in the “round” goldfish types, rather the long slender body types. This is due to pressure on the swim bladder or bubble bladder caused by expanding food in the fish’s stomach. As long as after a few hours it returns to normal, if this is the case, pre-soak any floating flakes or pellets you are feeding them and also incorporate vegetables into their diet. Frozen peas work best. Just. thaw the pea and shell it the squash the inside parts and drop a few in the tank(MAKE SURE THE PEAS ARE SODIUM FREE). If however, the disorder is not cleared up within a few hours of feeding time then the fish my have swim bladder disease in which case you should ask a local fish store (not petsmart or petco, an actual fish store) what can be done ASAP!

Anyways hope this helps!

August 19, 2011 at 3:34 pm
(12) june says:

I have 2 gold fish 1 swims about fine and the one I just got about 5 wks ago only seems to come to life when I feed them then just goes bk to laying on bottom of the tank help plz?

October 17, 2011 at 2:14 pm
(13) louise says:

hi my fish swims at the bottom of the tank quickly looking throught the side of the tank as if it can see its reflection of itself thinking its got company. is this normal, as i havent had a fish do this before.

January 3, 2012 at 5:15 pm
(14) nancyblais says:

we changed the tank cleaned it right out one gold fish is swiming upside down what does that mean is he dying

January 11, 2012 at 3:36 am
(15) Maddy says:

I found that my gold fish was resting on the bottom of the tank all day..just rising for food. I found a resolution to the problem by buying it a mate, now they swim together happily.. ( or so I think so)
I seriously think that by having 2 gold fish instead of the one keeps both more alert and swimming, maybe it’s because they are competitive and looking for food. When they are alone it seems they have no competition and therefore enjoy the lazy life. :)